Friday, April 18, 2014

Vacation part one.. Monteverde

This week I have had my much anticipated vacation.   Semana Santa has finally arrived and it has been great to get a break from school and well my life in general.  My host parents went to cancun Mexico for vacation so I spent most of the week with my friend Sigurlaug from Iceland.  I left for her house on Saturday because my host parents were leaving that day.  I took with me a huge backpack stuffed with all the clothes I would need and then I took the public bus.  I have never felt more like a gringa I looked as touristy as it gets with a huge orange backpack that they lent me.  I could hardly fit through the isle and the bus was pretty full, getting off I pretty much lunged off the bus.   Later one of my school friends told me he saw me with my bag on the bus... Great just shows you I was pretty easy to spot.  I walked to her house and stayed the night there, we walked around in cartago, then went back to her house and watched American movies in English, and ate watermelon it was awesome.  The next day after another movie and a lazy morning, we left to go pick up a cake from her grandmas house and brother from San Jose before the adventure began.  Her brother is thirteen and loves videa games, he was at an anime convention in a suburb in the far side of San Jose.  It felt like it took years to get there because the traffic was so backed up.  We headed off again after getting McDonald's for lunch.  I have actually found one non disgusting thing on the menu so I always get green salad.  A long day in the car awaited us, but I enjoyed the view of endless rolling mountains, with the windows down and some melodramatic ballad in the back ground.  The main roads in Costa Rica are pretty good, although a little slow due to curves and up and down, until you get to guanacaste there is no such thing as flat.   Eventually we reached our destination a town which looked more like several houses and a pulperia peeping out if jungle.  Her it was hot and sticky.  As we were driving by we saw the family we planned to stay with were at a baby shower so we joined them.  We were offered ice cold coke which was refreshing, and were offered sea food rice, and rice pooding.  Inga and I walked around and saw a big black monkey in a tree, as well as a mango tree.  We got to the house and dropped off our stuff before heading to the river.  The aunt and grandma showed us though way across a somewhat sketchy hanging cable bridge.  The whole thing swung gentle from side to side as you walked and the wood looked questionably old I held tight to the cable.  The river wasn't too deep as we are at the peak of the dry season, although we were told it is very dangerous in the rainy season able to take down trees, and splashing the bridge which now stood a good 15ft above it.  At this time of year though it hardly hit my waste, but the cold water felt nice.  The current was still strong enough though to make walking up river a struggle paired with the slimy rocks it was a challenge.  We walked up to some rapids and slid down them letting the current carry us over the rocks.  It was a lot of fun and worth the shorts I probably ruined with green stains.  That night we went out to a resturaunt and got to experience an annoying guanacaste and puntarenas "tradition".  There were men at the resturaunt drinking and they would just do this weird scream/whoop thing ever few minutes.  It's honestly the most annoying noise I have ever heard.  What shocked me was that nobody kicked them out of the resturaunt although it was extremely rude.  Apparently it's a tradition for men here to whoop when the are happy but was very annoying for everyone else at the resturaunt.  The next day the grandma made tortillas and gallo pinto for breakfast.  The tortillas were homemade a thick mix of cornmeal and water hand patted into a circle and fried on the skillet.  We left for monteverde, along winding steep gravel roads with an incredible view.  Puntarenas was much drier than cartago, with yellow hills from dry grass.  Monte verde however was much lusher.  We went to do canopy.  Canopy was 2 hours of various ziplines including What is supposedly the "longest zipline in Latin America".   This was superman style on your stomache about 200 ft up crossing a valley.  It was about 1500 meters and very fast.  The view was gorgeous although I struggled to enjoy it.n  I could only focus on hoping I would make it to the other side.  I enjoyed the canopy style ziplines better where you could sit up and hold on the the rope and the cable behind me.  Although it was probably just as dangerous it was comforting to be able to hang on to something.  The forest there was just like it had been in the numerous nature movies of my childhood and wish I had had time to enjoy it more.  Although it was awesome being able to see it from above monte verde is defiantly somewhere I would love to go back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment