Wednesday, February 5, 2014

La aventura empieza

Tomorrow at 6 am I leave home.  For five months.  At this point my feelings are very bittersweet, it is just beginning to sink in that I won't see my family and friends for so long.  However I am more excited than anything, and cannot wait to see Costa Rica and meet my new host family!  A few weeks ago I found out that I would no longer be able to stay with my initial host family, and yesterday I finally was given the information about my new host family.  They seem to be a very sweet family, with three little girls.  I will be living only 15 minutes from my previous placement in the city of Cartago.  Cartago is the oldest city in Costa Rica and was founded in the 1500s.  The city is near the mountains and surrounded in farming villages.  The weather there is very temperate never going much above 75 degrees or under 65.  As I just found out all this yesterday, today has been very hectic.  The morning was devoted to shopping for gifts for the new family, and this afternoon I have been attempting to fit everything in one small suitcase.  This has been a challenge.  Nevertheless I am getting close to being ready, though it is still hard to believe this is actually happening!  Tomorrow I will have to wake up at 3am to get to the airport at 4:45 to get my luggage checked.  It will be another eventful day.  The weekend will be only AFS orientations, until I meet my family on Sunday.  Then I will likely begin school Monday.  So, my first days in Costa Rica will be busy.  Although I still hope to be able to blog fairly soon after I arrive.  Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!  Till next time.

4 comments:

  1. Naomi,

    Enjoy the semester. Send us lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah for you! This is so exciting!!!! I'm looking forward to following your journey. We'll be thinking of you.
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy this time!! Danny just arrived in Chile for his second time (he loved it so much the first time)! He is on an 18 hour bus trip right now to visit his first home stay family when he was there three years ago as a senior in high school. Then he takes a trek in Patagonia with a friend from college and goes back to Santiago to be with the the new home stay family he will be with for Spring semester. I hope this time expands your mind and brings depth to your life!! I look forward to your telling of this journey! Costa Rica is a wonderful country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl. Can't wait to hear about all the adventures! Happy Trails, find a horse to ride! Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete